[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS and openindiana

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Thu Jul 11 14:29:56 UTC 2013

Seems pretty straight forward to me now that I did it.  I like that its
management is part of zfs and besides the little hiccup with that
pam.conf mod and having to 're-enter ' your password it was all a pretty
good experience.

Feels like a couple of little changes (include the missing package in
the initial install, and include the pam.conf mod from the beginning)
could make it a very easy way to share drives with windows.

Would you like to share your drives with windows? zfs set sharesmb=on
/pool /it's that easy!

If people were interested they could delve deeper for filesystem stuff
and abe etc but none of that would be necessary.

On 7/11/2013 10:08 AM, Laurent Blume wrote:
> On 10/07/13 15:04, James Carlson wrote:
>> I know that others here have said dreadful things about the CIFS server,
>> but I can't say I've understood the fuss.  :-/
>
> My experience with it for a very simple set up has been less than
> stellar. But also, I was using it on S11, which has it still evolving,
> and a good part of the issues (not all) were from that evolution and
> the ever changing syntax.
>
> But seriously, even if it worked perfectly, how useful is it to spend
> Illumos/OI resources on that? What does IPS do that Samba cannot? Is
> it worth continuing it without the access that Oracle has to MS
> documentation and their resources?
> Why not join forces with Samba and focus on enhancing that experience
> rather than have a 3rd tool, less popular than Samba and less
> supported than Solaris CIFS?
>
> Laurent

Dr. Daniel Kjar
Associate Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson