[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS and openindiana

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Thu Jul 11 16:56:11 UTC 2013

On 07/11/13 10:08, Laurent Blume wrote:
> On 10/07/13 15:04, James Carlson wrote:
>> I know that others here have said dreadful things about the CIFS server,
>> but I can't say I've understood the fuss.  :-/
>
> My experience with it for a very simple set up has been less than
> stellar. But also, I was using it on S11, which has it still evolving,
> and a good part of the issues (not all) were from that evolution and the
> ever changing syntax.

I've been using it for a while, first on OpenSolaris.

> But seriously, even if it worked perfectly, how useful is it to spend
> Illumos/OI resources on that? What does IPS do that Samba cannot?

Simple: integration with ZFS.  That's the killer feature for me, because
it makes the CIFS exports as easy to manage as my NFS exports.

> Is it
> worth continuing it without the access that Oracle has to MS
> documentation and their resources?

I think that kind of pessimistic question could apply to anything in
OpenIndiana.  Why bother with the kernel itself ... ?

> Why not join forces with Samba and focus on enhancing that experience
> rather than have a 3rd tool, less popular than Samba and less supported
> than Solaris CIFS?

It works for me.  I used to use Samba, but I had many problems with it,
and I'm really not at all interested in "developing" anything for it.
The sole purpose to me is to support a couple of ugly legacy Windoze
systems, and the less time I spend thinking about it, the better.

I don't doubt that a Samba developer would feel quite differently.  Your
opinion is valid, but it just doesn't apply to me.  :-/