[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS and openindiana

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Thu Jul 11 20:40:08 UTC 2013

On 13-07-11 09:30 AM, Laurent Blume wrote:
> On 2013-07-11 6:56 PM, James Carlson wrote:
>> It works for me.  I used to use Samba, but I had many problems with it,
>> and I'm really not at all interested in "developing" anything for it.
> Developing what? It's already here. You would be developing something
> else :-)
> I'm not sure when you last used Samba, but believe me, it's going
> forward at a pace that OI cannot realistically match.
>
>> The sole purpose to me is to support a couple of ugly legacy Windoze
>> systems, and the less time I spend thinking about it, the better.
> So if you don't really care about serving CIFS, it wouldn't really
> matter to you that they'd come through Samba or anything else?
>
>> I don't doubt that a Samba developer would feel quite differently.  Your
>> opinion is valid, but it just doesn't apply to me.  :-/
> I have no idea how they feel, but I'm sure it'd be better to have them
> involved and aware of OI rather than not.
>
> Laurent

Lots of stuff coming down the pipe with SMB2.2/3 as well.
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba3/SMB2#SMB_3.0

Plus things like: File Server Remote VSS Protocol  (FSRVP) for
snapshots.   Interesting in their wiki they actually name ZFS as an option.

I highly doubt that is going to find its way into the illumos cifs service.

Geoff