[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS and openindiana

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Jul 11 20:47:27 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-11 22:40, Geoff Nordli wrote:
> Plus things like: File Server Remote VSS Protocol  (FSRVP) for
> snapshots.   Interesting in their wiki they actually name ZFS as an option.
>
> I highly doubt that is going to find its way into the illumos cifs service.

I don't know the protocol by the name, but kCIFS does support access
from Windows to "Previous Versions" or "Shadow Copies" (via its GUI)
of shares on that OpenSolaris SXCE server, where as the said versions
it lists all the snapshots.

So unless you meant something else, I think it is there since the
beginning, or close to that :)

By the way, one of the features that OpenSolaris team touted for kCIFS
was Windows-like RPC implementation, in particular to view and manage
SMF services as if you managed a remote Windows server. Does Samba
have anything to match that? ;)

//Jim