[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS and openindiana

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Jul 12 13:19:53 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-12 12:02, Guenther Alka wrote:
> first, I would not share the pool itself but create a filesystem to
> share ex data:
> zfs set sharesmb=on home/data
>
> then you should reset the root pw to create a smb password:
> passwd root
>
> now you should be able to connect from Windows as user root
> If you want to connect as another user, create this user with a password
> and set ACL of shared folder to allow everyone@ or this user
>
> if you like to do settings not via CLI but a Web-UI, try my napp-it on OI

...or (since this thread became somewhat about remembering rationales
in defense of kCIFS), if you connected as an administrative user (that
is, the storage server thinks you can administer, such as root) over
CIFS from Windows (which is a most likely scenario), you can use the
properties of files and dirs to set "Security" -> ZFC ACLs.

Although I am not sure whether you can or can not edit share permissions
as easily. Still, there is $dataset/.zfs/shares/$sharename entry which
is just there for setting ACLs (on server-side, to limit the networked
access to shares as opposed to FS-level access to individual objects)...

//Jim