[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS and openindiana

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Sun Jul 14 14:55:05 UTC 2013

The pool I am accessing is just a pool containing home folders and I am
currently the only user that needs access.  I have had no problems so
far writing, reading, deleting etc.  I haven't tried to log in to the
share with other users though.  I should check and see if permissions
are working correctly.  I have plenty of adjuncts that may want laptop
access (the users are on sunrays).

On 07/12/13 09:19 AM, Jim Klimov wrote:
> On 2013-07-12 12:02, Guenther Alka wrote:
>> first, I would not share the pool itself but create a filesystem to
>> share ex data:
>> zfs set sharesmb=on home/data
>>
>> then you should reset the root pw to create a smb password:
>> passwd root
>>
>> now you should be able to connect from Windows as user root
>> If you want to connect as another user, create this user with a password
>> and set ACL of shared folder to allow everyone@ or this user
>>
>> if you like to do settings not via CLI but a Web-UI, try my napp-it
>> on OI
>
> ...or (since this thread became somewhat about remembering rationales
> in defense of kCIFS), if you connected as an administrative user (that
> is, the storage server thinks you can administer, such as root) over
> CIFS from Windows (which is a most likely scenario), you can use the
> properties of files and dirs to set "Security" -> ZFC ACLs.
>
> Although I am not sure whether you can or can not edit share permissions
> as easily. Still, there is $dataset/.zfs/shares/$sharename entry which
> is just there for setting ACLs (on server-side, to limit the networked
> access to shares as opposed to FS-level access to individual objects)...
>
> //Jim

Dr. Daniel Kjar
Associate Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson