[OpenIndiana-discuss] Status of compilers in use for OI

Bryan N Iotti ironsides.medvet at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 16:49:59 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I keep following the "which branch goes where" discussion with much
interest.

However, I find I have a hard time understanding a basic problem.

It is mentioned that we are using Sun Studio 12.1 when compiling /dev
and /stable. Are we stuck there and can't use 12.3 for some particular
reason, like licensing, or is it for compatibility?

 From the Oracle SLA and FAQ for Solaris Studio 12.3 (here
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solarisstudio/overview/index-jsp-136637.html)
I seem to understand I can freely develop, release and sell software
compiled with it, as long as I don't redistribute bits that are not
end-user redistributable. Am I right, or am I missing something?

The world of Oracle licenses seems extremely convoluted in these days...

The issue for me would be, if it is free and can be used, would it be
worth the extra work required to compile some software with it vs GCC?

Thank you all for any pointers.

    Bryan