[OpenIndiana-discuss] Status of compilers in use for OI

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Jul 12 17:14:21 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-12 18:49, Bryan N Iotti wrote:
> It is mentioned that we are using Sun Studio 12.1 when compiling /dev
> and /stable. Are we stuck there and can't use 12.3 for some particular
> reason, like licensing, or is it for compatibility?

I believe, there were attempts to build with SS 12.3 when it came
out, and it lead to erroneous code, allegedly the compiler's fault.
Since there was no way to make Oracle fix the compiler, those tries
were abandoned and illumos stuck with what was known to "just work".

Possibly, later releases of SS12.3 patches (if publicly available)
fixed the problem - after all, Oracle would be using it to compile
their Solaris, and likely hit similar problems; I am not aware of
anything trying that with illumos.

HTH,
//Jim