[OpenIndiana-discuss] Status of compilers in use for OI

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Fri Jul 12 17:54:10 UTC 2013

On 07/12/13 10:14 AM, Jim Klimov wrote:
> Possibly, later releases of SS12.3 patches (if publicly available)
> fixed the problem - after all, Oracle would be using it to compile
> their Solaris, and likely hit similar problems; I am not aware of
> anything trying that with illumos.

Yes, we apply compiler patches or support repository updates to the
Studio compilers we use to build Solaris itself - always have, I
don't think there has ever been a release we used without some fixes
for a corner case only hit compiling/running the complex code in the OS
(especially that in kernel space, which has very different constraints
  than applications do).

The problem with those for OI is simply that they require paying for
a Studio support contract to get the patches or support repo access.

The Studio 12.0 + patches set used for compiling OpenSolaris was made
freely available when we were making it possible for outside people
to contribute to OpenSolaris - since that ended, the newer Studio +
patches sets have not been given away for free.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com