[OpenIndiana-discuss] iSCSI volume and ZFS

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu Jul 25 01:48:00 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, July 24, 2013 03:18 AM, CJ Keist wrote:
> Yes, that would be the case. I'm looking at EMC iSCSI storage unit. So
> it's pretty much the same case that I have with our current OI system
> using Raid controller to present one single volume to create a ZFS
> file system on correct? There is the potential of loosing the entire
> ZFS file system if anything got corrupted during data transfers.

Did you know that one of the points of using ZFS is to do away with
hardware raid? Especially for raid5,6 and so on. raidz solves the
write-hole problem that raid5,6 has.

ZFS is used as an iscsi target. Not sure why you want to go the other
way round. ZFS does not support clustering nor does it have special
features beyond disk and data management. Why do you have this idea of
running ZFS over iscsi?