[OpenIndiana-discuss] No access to pkg manager on new install - user error?

DormitionSkete@hotmail.com dormitionskete at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 28 01:55:40 UTC 2013

I've read others on this list reporting that the "Time Slider" gui doesn't work until you change the root password via the command line.  I'd guess you're probably getting bit by an offshoot of that.

It's been a while since I've done a fresh install of OI, but I vaguely remember something "squirrelly" going on when trying to su to root in a terminal window.  I don't remember quite what I had to do to change the password.

Try to "su" to root.  Then try "passwd root".

If that doesn't work, try "pfexec passwd root".  Play around with it, but somehow get the system to change your root password.  Then see if it doesn't fix your package manager gui problem.

Here are some of the recommended packages for compiling software:

system/header
system/library/math/header-math
gnu-make  (gmake)
autoconf
developer/gcc-3

I've had the best success compiling software with gcc-3 and gmake, for what it's worth.

I have to run.  Hope it helps.

fp