[OpenIndiana-discuss] Destroying unavailable ZFS dataset

Steve Gonczi gonczi at comcast.net
Sat Jun 1 17:50:38 UTC 2013

Explaining your problem in specific terms would be helpful,
(.e.g.: mention the commands you use to demonstrate the problem).

"an old system drive seems to have a memory..." is surely a colorful way of describing your issue,
but unfortunately does not make it clear what the problem exactly is.

Do you have an unusable drive, that used to be part of a Zfs pool, and now cannot be reused
in another zfs pool, or reformatted as a non-zfs drive?

Do you have a pool, where "zpool list" or "zfs get mounted" lists an un-mountable / un-destroyable file system?

The Zfs term "Dataset" is specifically: a file system, snapshot, clone or zvol, but perhaps
you are talking about a pool here.

Exporting and reimporting a pool sometimes helps resolving pool inconsistencies.

Steve