[OpenIndiana-discuss] Destroying unavailable ZFS dataset

Michelle Knight michelle at msknight.com
Sat Jun 1 18:13:32 UTC 2013

Good point.

Ok ... here we go.

The system contained two SSD drives for the OI OS, mirrored.

The data was kept on a zfs pool called "data" - (yeh, original, I know)
- which consisted of three WD green drives.  These were previously
  2TB's and were later upgraded to 3TBs

In about October last year, the SSD drives were split. This was because
I transferred the whole thing in to a HP N40L box, which meant I could
only use one of the SSD drives.

However, with the CIFS issue for compatability with Ubuntu 13.04 and
difficulty in getting dlna streaming on to the OI box, I've had to come
to a hard choice.

I'm in the process of transferring the system over to a FreeNAS
installation, using the old SSD as the jail drive.

However, with FreeNAS installed on a USB key and the old SSD stripped
of partitions and installed as a jail partition, when I use ... zfs
import ... (the new 3tbs are not installed at this point) ... it still
shows the old "data" zfs set and of course, being unavailable because
none of the old drives are present.

I am concluding that something on the old SSD drive still has a record
of the old ZFS set which must have been stored somewhere other than the
standard partitions ... I don't know where else this information could
have come from.

Many thanks,

Michelle.