[OpenIndiana-discuss] [UNSUBSCRIBE]

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 6 13:40:23 UTC 2013

>Unless Martin is willing to maintain and push forward the huge OS/Net
>codebase on his own, Illumos is realistically the only game in town.
>He's a talented fellow no doubt, but building a distro and maintaining a
>kernel are not in the same league.

Hello everybody,
It is no secret that Solaris users form a very small minority. What
is really disappointing is the fact that we have a number of distros
that even fewer people use. To me it would be a good idea to join
forces to improve the kernel as well as the user-land. There is no
USB3 support and adding it to Solaris is not as "trivial" it is for
other systems :-( Also, there is no Kernel Mode Setting which means
that the open source video drivers cannot be used. In addition,
we need OpenOffice/LibreOffice and some other tools like gimp
2.8.0, etc. Thus, instead of spending time and energy on building
different distros, let's "endorse" 2-3 distros and concentrate on
the development of the kernel. After all, the various linux distros
are possible because some people work really hard on improving
the kernel.

A.S.