[OpenIndiana-discuss] WD reds any good for ZFS RAIDZ pools?

Robbie Crash sardonic.smiles at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 14:08:40 UTC 2013

I'm running a shit show of drives at home in my pool, 4xWD 1TB black, 4xWD
2TB green (with TLER) and 4xWD 3TB reds. All are in RAIDZ and I've had no
problems over the last ~2 years.

Since it's all the same pool, I can't tell you what performance will be
like just on the reds, but stability wise, I've had no problems.

The red series is exactly what WD recommends for 24/7 RAID operations if
you don't want to pony up the extra few hundred for /proper/ enterprise
drives.