[OpenIndiana-discuss] WD reds any good for ZFS RAIDZ pools?

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Fri Jun 7 21:23:50 UTC 2013

On 6/5/2013 6:05 PM, Carl Brewer wrote:

> I'm about to source parts for my home server's array, and am looking at
> WD red 3TB HDD's, any feedback or war stories on these drives?  If I get
> 3 x 3TB a RAIDz array would give me ~6TB, which should keep me going for
> a few years and not run me out of drive slots in my case.

I'm in the middle of building an omnios based server, using 13 WD Red
3TB's in a 2 x 6raidz2 config with one hot spare. I've been burning them
in about three weeks, no failures so far, they seem to be working fine.
Haven't really done much benchmarking with them; it would've been nice
to get enterprise 7200RPM SAS or near-line SATA drives, but for my
purposes the cost overhead was just too big. The low heat/low-power of
the WD Red was also a plus. I guess time will tell if the performance
will be enough…

For these large drives, raidz2 is recommended, as the likelihood of a
second drive failure during a rebuild starts to get pretty high.

Good luck!