[OpenIndiana-discuss] [UNSUBSCRIBE]

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 6 15:04:02 UTC 2013

  Yep.  And the Illumos crowd is damaging their own image fast.  Between
attitude problems costing them overall credibility (delusions of grandeur,
talking about "market share" and "shareholders" in the context of a free
open-source software project) and technical credibility (talking like the PC
is the end-all, be-all of computing), Martin and his work come out smelling
like a rose.

             -Dave

On 06/06/2013 10:04 AM, Jerry Kemp wrote:
> Martin's distro, unfortunately, is the only one willing to support Sparc, so
> he is going to pull a good sized chunk of the community based on that alone.
>
> Jerry
>

> On 06/ 6/13 08:40 AM, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:
>

>> Hello everybody,
>> It is no secret that Solaris users form a very small minority. What
>> is really disappointing is the fact that we have a number of distros
>> that even fewer people use. To me it would be a good idea to join
>> forces to improve the kernel as well as the user-land. There is no
>> USB3 support and adding it to Solaris is not as "trivial" it is for
>> other systems :-( Also, there is no Kernel Mode Setting which means
>> that the open source video drivers cannot be used. In addition,
>> we need OpenOffice/LibreOffice and some other tools like gimp
>> 2.8.0, etc. Thus, instead of spending time and energy on building
>> different distros, let's "endorse" 2-3 distros and concentrate on
>> the development of the kernel. After all, the various linux distros
>> are possible because some people work really hard on improving
>> the kernel.
>>
>> A.S.

Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA