[OpenIndiana-discuss] [UNSUBSCRIBE]

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc
Thu Jun 6 17:01:40 UTC 2013

I think that Garrett and everyone else has done an awesome job with the
work they have accomplished.  I use OpenIndiana as a desktop everyday,
and I appreciate the work that all the developers have done!  I wish I
was a developer and could contribute myself.  I do networking/Cisco and
Unix/Solaris system administration.

With that said, the missing Sparc gap is a big one.  For many admin's,
when they think Solaris (or Solaris based distro), they assume Sparc is
a give.

At $WORK, all the servers are RISC based from one vendor or another.  My
home servers are mostly the same way.  At least the ones I have set up
in a server capacity.  I have a personal server in a COLO, along with a
dozen different boxes that I have either been gifted or have purchased
from eBay or other sources in my home lab.  From multiple V120's to
T1000 & T2000, and stuff in between.

On the pre t-series boxes, I have Solaris 11 Express, and I will explore
Martin's offerings both now and as they mature.  For t-series boxes, I
have Solaris 10 or Solaris 11 or Martin's offering.

I know that the Sparc support discussion is a long ongoing discussion
here.  But as much as I would like to keep from beating that horse,
Sparc support is, and will continue to be an important one for many
people.  It is extremely likely that Martin will draw anyone to his
distro that needs Sparc support, unless there major bugs that made the
software unstable or something similar.

Jerry