[OpenIndiana-discuss] [UNSUBSCRIBE]

Marc Lobelle marc.lobelle at uclouvain.be
Fri Jun 7 10:01:16 UTC 2013

On  5/06/13 19:04, Martin Bochnig wrote:
> Future information about OpenSXCE x86, amd64, sun4u and sun4v for now on
> @martinbochnig.
> Good souls are already helping with the release notes, web page, hosting,
> financing, and:
>
> Dave McGuire just offered to host the OpenSXCE mailing lists.
> Ken Mays creates the Release Notes, wiki style page and SPONSORS section
> with all names.
>
> And: From 2013.06 on all subsequent monthly releases of OpenSXCE will no
> longer be based on Illumos.*NON*-org, but on
> Igor Kozhukhov's great DilOS.org OS/Net work.
>

> IT WILL BE AN OPENSRC OS and everybody, from all distros or consolidations,
> is welcome to copy ideas and code from us.
> Sadly I see no future on this list, therefore this sad step.
>
> BIG BIG THANKS TO ALL OpenSXCE helpers, doners, supporters and real friends
Dear Martin,

Before coming to the core on this message, I would like to tell you that I noticed your rant
on the illumos and openidiana lists, as well as the sometimes rude reactions. About that,
my opinion is both were, in my view, inappropriate. You could have passed your message
more efficiently in another way and some of the reactions had little added value.
I find it is a pity that valuable people like you and the others lost time and energyin this
and you got so upset as to decide to leave this community.

Now coming to the core of my message.

I had not noticed your work in the past. Having read your announcement of SXCE and the
application software it includes, I'm getting really interessed. I think your work is
really useful and complementary to the illumos work, because, if I understand correctly,
you keep your distributions up to date and you include application software that is not
often included in distributions of the descendents of opensolaris, not only with servers
in mind, but also desk/lap-tops.
Even though the strength of opensolaris descendents is in servers, it is of utmost importance
to keep a state of the art desk/lap-top offering, because people using OS XXX or WWW on
their desk/lap-tops will always prefer XXX or WWW on their servers, just because it is f
amiliar to them. Thus, if we want opensolaris descendents to survive, it must be usable
on desk/lap-tops with all the features available in XXX or WWW.

Another point is that the opensolaris descendents community is not large enough to be able
to split up in subcommunities at war with each-other, so I urge you to reconsider replacing
illumos that is really at the core of this activity with anything else. I must confess, I do not really
understand your move to Dilos: As I understand is Dilos= illumos + debian format packages,
but is not clear for me if this means any that debian package can be used on dilos, and this
would have a big added value for the desk/lap-tops environment, or just that packages built
for "opensolaris" and packaged in the right way can be installed on dilos with debian-like tools.
I do not see the real added value of the latter.

If your purpose is to provide a distribution with an up to date illumos at its core and the
applications everybody expects on desk/lap-tops easily installable, then I consider your
work as a really important and I would be ready helping you to live of it.
But make it possible to easily install all available applications, whether provided by openindiana,
opencsw or yourself directly. One of the missing ones seems to be asterisk, by the way.

Best regards

Marc