[OpenIndiana-discuss] asterisk, was Re: [UNSUBSCRIBE]

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jun 7 13:42:53 UTC 2013

On 06/07/2013 06:36 AM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> If your purpose is to provide a distribution with an up to date illumos at
>> its core and the
>> applications everybody expects on desk/lap-tops easily installable, then I
>> consider your
>> work as a really important and I would be ready helping you to live of it.
>> But make it possible to easily install all available applications, whether
>> provided by openindiana,
>> opencsw or yourself directly. One of the missing ones seems to be asterisk,
>> by the way.
>>
> asterisk?
>
> Now that things seem to be more in the direction of gcc, you'll get asterisk
> eventually. The main problem with getting asterisk on Solaris was that its
> code made a lot of use of gcc'isms that Sun Studio CC does not handle.
>
> Do you need hardware support or just asterisk itself with sip support?

  I worked as a contractor for Digium several years ago, with the task of
porting Asterisk to Solaris on SPARC using Sun Studio.  I got it mostly
working; the changes required weren't really all that bad.

  At some point, apparently internal politics at that company made things go
down the wrong path, and they basically stopped communicating with me.  Never
paid me, either.  As far as I know, the code was never integrated into the
main Asterisk codebase.

  My next task was to tackle the device drivers for their hardware, but
obviously things never got that far.

                -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ