[OpenIndiana-discuss] [UNSUBSCRIBE]

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jun 7 23:40:40 UTC 2013

On 06/07/2013 07:36 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>>> Excuse me? Linux on the desktop has been and still is a goal. Maybe with
>> A goal? It is already there!
>
> Ubuntu is a passable desktop and I use it. But it does not quite fit in an
> office when compared with Windows or Mac OS X.

  Sure it does.  I see it all the time.  If you disagree, cite examples.

> Nor has it made major in-roads in the home.

  It has here.  You need to get out more. ;)

>>> Linux is popular because it was and is a cheap, reliable alternative to
>>> super expensive Unix and Windows
>> Linux is not cheap: it's free! And yes it is reliable. And that should
>> be the goal of Illumos etc.
>> A.S.
>
> It is most assuredly not free. Unless you happen to have a really good Linux
> jack of all trades admin and also a really good lot of users. Just because
> you do not have to purchase licenses does not mean it is free.

  That's a popular straw man, but it just doesn't bear out in real life.
Linux boxes (or OS X for that matter) just do not require the degree of user
support that Windows boxes do.  They don't require the constant reloading,
reformatting, de-virusing, etc etc.  Nobody that I've moved to Linux or OS X
has ever needed any support of any kind past about the second day of use.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA