[OpenIndiana-discuss] [UNSUBSCRIBE]

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Jun 7 23:36:39 UTC 2013

On Saturday, June 08, 2013 02:54 AM, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:
>>>   But it is of paramount importance to those running desktops!
>>>   Remember that Linux became popular because it is reliable
>>>   alternative to both Windows and MacOS as a desktop system.
>> Excuse me? Linux on the desktop has been and still is a goal. Maybe with
> A goal? It is already there!

Ubuntu is a passable desktop and I use it. But it does not quite fit in
an office when compared with Windows or Mac OS X. Nor has it made major
in-roads in the home.

>> Valve making Steam on Linux a reality this might take things a bit
>> closer in terms of home desktops but business desktops is still a pipe
>> dream.
>
> What's a business desktop? In many countries companies have abandoned
>
> windows for Linux desktops.

Good for them. I too was going roll out Ubuntu desktops but then 9.04
happened and with it the ability to centrally manage desktop environments.

>> Linux is popular because it was and is a cheap, reliable alternative to
>> super expensive Unix and Windows
> Linux is not cheap: it's free! And yes it is reliable. And that should
> be the goal of Illumos etc.
> A.S.

It is most assuredly not free. Unless you happen to have a really good
Linux jack of all trades admin and also a really good lot of users. Just
because you do not have to purchase licenses does not mean it is free.