[OpenIndiana-discuss] [UNSUBSCRIBE]

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Jun 8 00:03:00 UTC 2013

On 06/07/2013 07:59 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>>> Ubuntu is a passable desktop and I use it. But it does not quite fit in an
>>> office when compared with Windows or Mac OS X.
>>    Sure it does.  I see it all the time.  If you disagree, cite examples.
>
> Central domain management including assigning desktop profiles is not
> available. Nothing that works on the level of Powerpoint or Keynote.

  Ahhhh.  Well you *may* have a point there; I don't work in environments
that are that large.  But I have done large *datacenter* (not desktop)
environments, and rdist works wonders for centralized administration in that
environment.  Since everything is based on nice sane config files, that
borders on the trivial.

> The first would have been possible with winbind and KDE 3.5 but that's no
> longer available.
>
>>> Nor has it made major in-roads in the home.
>>    It has here.  You need to get out more. ;)
>
> The whole of Hong Kong suffers from this.

  Time to move.

>>> It is most assuredly not free. Unless you happen to have a really good Linux
>>> jack of all trades admin and also a really good lot of users. Just because
>>> you do not have to purchase licenses does not mean it is free.
>>    That's a popular straw man, but it just doesn't bear out in real life.
>> Linux boxes (or OS X for that matter) just do not require the degree of user
>> support that Windows boxes do.  They don't require the constant reloading,
>> reformatting, de-virusing, etc etc.  Nobody that I've moved to Linux or OS X
>> has ever needed any support of any kind past about the second day of use.
>
> Well, I was forced to learn to do Windows administration because that's
> working env of my school.

  Wow, it's SERIOUSLY time to move.

> I have never had to do constant reloading,
> reformatting or de-virusing. So in my case, this is a strawman. A complete
> reinstall just takes a couple of hours too and I can mass reinstall if I have
> to for that is what I do when I get a whole new batch of desktops.

  If you've figured out how to make Windows machines reliable, you'll have
been the first, and I suspect Microsoft will hire you immediately.  THEN you
could get out of Hong Kong! ;)

                 -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ