[OpenIndiana-discuss] Openindiana GlusterFS support

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 20:56:06 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Alberto Picón Couselo
<alpicon1 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> We have been searching aHigh Availability storage solution for OpenIndiana
> for a long time.

What type of storage? Do you need a file system interface, or
an object store?

> Does anybody know if GlusterFS is supported?. We found the following link,
> but it seems that it is very experimental...
>
> http://nanohikari.blogspot.**com.es/2012/07/installing-**
> glusterfs-33-on-openindiana.**html<http://nanohikari.blogspot.com.es/2012/07/installing-glusterfs-33-on-openindiana.html>
>
> GlusterFS support for OpenIndiana would perfect to deploy HA storage with
> ZFS support.

So the real problem there is likely going to be the fuse layer that
makes it look like a filesystem. And that's going to be a problem
(at some level) for anything that tries to look like a file system.

If you don't need that abstraction, then pure object stores are likely
to be far more portable. Something like Riak CS, for example.

--
-Peter Tribble