[OpenIndiana-discuss] Openindiana GlusterFS support

Richard Elling richard.elling at richardelling.com
Sun Jun 16 23:11:15 UTC 2013

On Jun 16, 2013, at 3:11 PM, Alberto Picón Couselo <alpicon1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Saso
>
>> I don't think there's any in-kernel support. But before you go out on a software digging expedition into clustered filesystems, have you made sure that you *really* need it? High Availability does not necessarily mean that you need a clustered filesystem. Cheers,
>
> We mainly use OpenIndiana to serve using NFSv4 virtual image files to Xen/KVM hypervisors. ZFS support is a must for us, because we can recover customer virtual images without effort using snapshots and/or zfs send&receive replication. The point here is to survive to NFS server disruption/unavailability without affecting Xen/KVM guests and hosts. As you know, NFS clients are extremely sensitive to server availability...

Actually, no. NFS clients are expected to be very tolerant of server availability. This is
why the NFS protocol is stateless. By contrast, a protocol like NetWare required you to
reboot all of your clients if you rebooted the server -- and they are a footnote to history.

That said, there are some NFS clients that do not follow the rules of the internet and
expect IP networks to be as reliable as motherboard traces. You can't fix those on the
server side.
 -- richard

--

Richard.Elling at RichardElling.com