[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing zones from templates

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 17:54:00 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Stefan Müller-Wilken <
stefan.mueller-wilken at acando.de> wrote:

> Hi Peter,

> >> Hmmm... that might be an option but doesn't sound too elegant with
> dozends
> >> of packages.
> >>

> >So, find or create a package that depends on the packages you need and
> >just add that.
>
> ah, yes, I forgot that option. Thanks for the hint. I could create meta
> packages in our own repository for each personality, i.e. webserver.pkg,
> appserver.pkg ... and have those depend on a suitable set of packages from
> dev or so.

Which has other advantages; you could install those packages on
any system and be sure you have the right functionality; and you
can update that meta package to push out changes.

> So there is no standard way to have personality templates? Isn't that a
> standard requirement with larger installations? How do others do that?
> Thanks for your insights.

The beauty of standards...

I suspect many would go down the route of golden images in some
form. (And yes, you can install a zone from an archive.)

--
-Peter Tribble