[OpenIndiana-discuss] Odd Samba/winbind issue

James Relph james at themacplace.co.uk
Sun Jun 23 20:23:53 UTC 2013

> You should be able to just upgrade to them:
> pkgutil -t http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/opencsw/experimental/laurent -u

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for that, the patches seem to work and I can use netatalk with winbind still (with more groups now!), but SMB is still a no go, I just get:

check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [james] -> [james] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

It seems really odd, because if I do:

id james
uid=16777216(james) gid=16777216(domain users)

Or:

getent passwd "james"
james:*:16777216:16777216::/export/home/james:/usr/bin/bash

I'm just not sure why everything would be able to see the user via winbind, except for Samba, nothing in the logs and when you try and authenticate over samba it doesn't even seem to get as far as asking the AD.  Yet if you use netatalk (via PAM and winbind) that's checking and authenticating against AD fine.

Puzzling.

Thanks again,

James.