[OpenIndiana-discuss] Odd Samba/winbind issue

Laurent Blume laurent+oi at elanor.org
Sun Jun 23 22:57:24 UTC 2013

On 23/06/2013 22:23, James Relph wrote:

> Hi Lauren,

Laurent with a 't', so it's male, just for the record ;-)

> Thanks for that, the patches seem to work and I can use netatalk with
> winbind still (with more groups now!),

Okay, good to know, I'll see if upstream will get the patches in or if I
just should keep them myself.

> but SMB is still a no go, I
> just get:
>
> check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [james] -> [james]
> FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
>
> It seems really odd, because if I do:
>
> id james uid=16777216(james) gid=16777216(domain users)
>
> Or:
>
> getent passwd "james"
> james:*:16777216:16777216::/export/home/james:/usr/bin/bash
>
> I'm just not sure why everything would be able to see the user via
> winbind, except for Samba, nothing in the logs and when you try and
> authenticate over samba it doesn't even seem to get as far as asking
> the AD.  Yet if you use netatalk (via PAM and winbind) that's
> checking and authenticating against AD fine.

Careful, IIRC, the "No such user" answer for Samba is an authentication
issue, you can get that even when the user is indeed there, but with eg
a bad password. While the pam results you get above are purely a user
description. But if netatalk does authenticate, that could be good. Can
you also get authenticated with, say, "su - james"? Have you tried
connecting with smbclient to the server?

At this point, I'd advise you to try on the Samba list, they should be
at least more helpful for diagnosing. I'll follow up there too.

Laurent