[OpenIndiana-discuss] Odd Samba/winbind issue

James Relph james at themacplace.co.uk
Sun Jun 23 23:24:08 UTC 2013

> Laurent with a 't', so it's male, just for the record ;-)

Sorry, typo there, I did get it right earlier!

> Careful, IIRC, the "No such user" answer for Samba is an authentication issue, you can get that even when the user is indeed there, but with eg a bad password. While the pam results you get above are purely a user description. But if netatalk does authenticate, that could be good. Can you also get authenticated with, say, "su - james"? Have you tried connecting with smbclient to the server?

Yep, if I setup other PAM bits I can login via (for instance) SSH, and netatalk worked pretty much straight away.

I'll bring this up on the samba lists and see if anyone has any ideas.  Samba4 is working pretty well, so that might be an option, there's just (ironically) an issue with netatalk on that side (but I think the guys at NetAFP are pretty confident that they can remedy that quickly).

Thanks,

James.