[OpenIndiana-discuss] [SPAM?] Re: using LSI 2308-IT onboard supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD, openindiana not loading drivers? (OpenIndiana-discuss Digest, Vol 29, Issue 43)

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Mon Mar 4 23:01:56 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, March 05, 2013 01:22 AM, Geoff Nordli wrote:
> On 13-03-03 04:43 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> If Vbox did try to install the crossbow driver, he should have
>> noticed it fail to load as there are three kernel calls that that
>> driver expects to find but will be unable to find.
>>
>> In any case, the vbox streams driver is problematic and cuts off the
>> network from time to time. That's why I tried to force the
>> installation of the crossbow driver only to find out that they are
>> depending on three new vnic_{create|delete|modify} calls that illumos
>> does not have.
>
> I have a few all-in-one OI+VBox servers running and I am not seeing
> network issues.  One is running oi_151a3+Vbox 4.1.22.
>
> What makes you believe there are problems with the streams driver?

The fact that you ping a host from any other host without problems but
the guest for some reason at that moment just cannot. Then later on, it
is able while all others have been able for the entire time. I have two
Windows guests with bridged adapters. If did seem that this only started
when the second guest was added.

> I did get some weirdness with the virtio driver and linux guests. I
> have standardized on the 82545EM card for linux guests.

Is the weirdness the same as the above? Because, that is what I use, the
virtio driver for the guests.

> It would be really nice to be able to use the crossbow driver.
> Managing the process of creating a vnic and then having to match the
> mac address is kind of a pain.

It is just three new kernel functions in a vnic_mgmt.h header IIRC. I
have been trying to find out how dladm creates vnics to find out what
the internal calls are but I have not hit anything with a cursory search
and I have not had time to do a more thorough search.