[OpenIndiana-discuss] [SPAM?] Re: [SPAM?] Re: using LSI 2308-IT onboard supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD, openindiana not loading drivers? (OpenIndiana-discuss Digest, Vol 29, Issue 43)

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Tue Mar 5 01:21:56 UTC 2013

On 13-03-04 03:01 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 05, 2013 01:22 AM, Geoff Nordli wrote:
>> On 13-03-03 04:43 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>>> If Vbox did try to install the crossbow driver, he should have
>>> noticed it fail to load as there are three kernel calls that that
>>> driver expects to find but will be unable to find.
>>>
>>> In any case, the vbox streams driver is problematic and cuts off the
>>> network from time to time. That's why I tried to force the
>>> installation of the crossbow driver only to find out that they are
>>> depending on three new vnic_{create|delete|modify} calls that
>>> illumos does not have.
>>
>> I have a few all-in-one OI+VBox servers running and I am not seeing
>> network issues.  One is running oi_151a3+Vbox 4.1.22.
>>
>> What makes you believe there are problems with the streams driver?
>
> The fact that you ping a host from any other host without problems but
> the guest for some reason at that moment just cannot. Then later on,
> it is able while all others have been able for the entire time. I have
> two Windows guests with bridged adapters. If did seem that this only
> started when the second guest was added.

Did you create a vnic for each guest, and assign the same mac address on
the vbox Ethernet adapter that is on the vnic?

>> I did get some weirdness with the virtio driver and linux guests. I
>> have standardized on the 82545EM card for linux guests.
>
> Is the weirdness the same as the above? Because, that is what I use,
> the virtio driver for the guests.

No, it wasn't intermittent on/off.   From what I remember I would need
to do a restart of the VM to recover.  Though that may have been fixed
now, but I just go with what works.

another note, one of the VMs is a PBX running Asterisk, which would be
very sensitive to networking issues.

>> It would be really nice to be able to use the crossbow driver.
>> Managing the process of creating a vnic and then having to match the
>> mac address is kind of a pain.
>>

> It is just three new kernel functions in a vnic_mgmt.h header IIRC. I
> have been trying to find out how dladm creates vnics to find out what
> the internal calls are but I have not hit anything with a cursory
> search and I have not had time to do a more thorough search.

If you find the time,that would be awesome!!

Geoff