[OpenIndiana-discuss] copying a reference installation to other hosts

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Tue Mar 5 10:28:24 UTC 2013

On 05/03/2013 11:16, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
> Thanks. One or two Qs interfoliated.
>
> Would this script miss transferring any config details anywhere? It
> shouldn't, but I should ask.

All that's on the rpool/ROOT/openindiana-xxx is transferred, if you
have other stuff on different pools, they have to be transferred with
separate statements.

> Better automated?? How?

E.g., find out the disk number automatically, find your network
devs automatically (hint: /dev/cfg/ maybe your friend).
DHCP is helpful when installing in masses, we usually setup an
internal, temporary server for that task and then use this
instead of the physical:default static network incantations:

ifconfig e1000g0 plumb
ifconfig e1000g0 up
ifconfig e1000g0 dhcp start

> I suppose it would be straightforward to extend this to multiple i/f-s
> and/or multihoming..

Yes, our actual scripts add a couple of network interfaces at once.
Although, for automated scripts you always see quirks with changing
dev numbers etc. (see above).

>>#init 6
> That init would be part of the "better automated"  I suppose?

Yep, we usually commment that out since it always fails for some
reason at the first shot, so a reboot would not be helpful here...
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski    Inst.f.Meteorology a.Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php