[OpenIndiana-discuss] DNS Alias issue for CIFS - network path not found on Win7

Sebastian Gabler sequoiamobil at gmx.net
Tue Mar 5 16:21:25 UTC 2013

Hi Edward,

actually, I wanted to stick with the kernel CIFS server because I thought that AD integration would be easier compared with SAMBA3.
Is there a good how-to and maybe even some comparison between the two smb servers so that I can estimate which one will be easier?

All clients should be able to use IP and DNS instead of NetBios here. (XP SP3 and up, some OXs, some Debian-based linuxes)
I want to keep the SMB2 feature on the Windows 6.x based machines because we have other servers here that can serve smb2.

Primarily I was actually interested if there is any chance to work around the bug noted by Oracle in the CIFS server, and/or backport the fix to the
current Illumos code base/ my OI installation to profit from the fix w/o migrating to a different distro.

Best,

Sebastian