[OpenIndiana-discuss] DNS Alias issue for CIFS - network path not found on Win7

Robbie Crash sardonic.smiles at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 16:55:40 UTC 2013

AD integration with the builtin CIFS server is dead easy. I've joined OI to
2003/2008 and 2012 native functioning domains with no issue.

What is serving DNS for you?
Are you using WINS?
Do you have NetBIOS enabled?
Are you using IPv6?
Do your XP clients face the same connection problems? What about Windows 8?
You've said you still get failures when accessing by IP, correct? On all
clients at the same time, or sporadically across clients?
What applications are you using to access the server? IE: Are you opening
things through Explorer, or are you opening things through Office?
Are you using offline files?

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Sebastian Gabler <sequoiamobil at gmx.net>wrote:

> Hi Edward,
>
> actually, I wanted to stick with the kernel CIFS server because I thought
> that AD integration would be easier compared with SAMBA3.
> Is there a good how-to and maybe even some comparison between the two smb
> servers so that I can estimate which one will be easier?
>
> All clients should be able to use IP and DNS instead of NetBios here. (XP
> SP3 and up, some OXs, some Debian-based linuxes)
> I want to keep the SMB2 feature on the Windows 6.x based machines because
> we have other servers here that can serve smb2.
>
> Primarily I was actually interested if there is any chance to work around
> the bug noted by Oracle in the CIFS server, and/or backport the fix to the
> current Illumos code base/ my OI installation to profit from the fix w/o
> migrating to a different distro.
>
> Best,
>
> Sebastian

Seconds to the drop, but it seems like hours.

http://www.openmedia.ca
https://robbiecrash.me