[OpenIndiana-discuss] DNS Alias issue for CIFS - network, path not found on Win7

Sebastian Gabler sequoiamobil at gmx.net
Thu Mar 7 10:46:31 UTC 2013

Hi Robbie, I have inserted some comments:

Am 06.03.2013 01:38, schrieb openindiana-discuss-request at openindiana.org:

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 11:55:40 -0500
> From: Robbie Crash<sardonic.smiles at gmail.com>
> To: Discussion list for OpenIndiana
> 	<openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>
> Subject: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] DNS Alias issue for CIFS - network
> 	path not found on Win7
>
> AD integration with the builtin CIFS server is dead easy. I've joined OI to
> 2003/2008 and 2012 native functioning domains with no issue.
The command "smbdadm join -u" runs w/o any problem. But when it comes to
idmap I have suffered a major screw-up just two days ago that cost me
dearly. As soon as the kerberos was configured, and * users and the
often-mentioned basic Domain Users and Domain Administrators groups
where added in idmap, no share including those with guest access could
be accessed anymore. Messages was flooded with "smbd[1862]: [ID 801593
daemon.error] smb_idmap_batch_getmappings: Mapping not found or
inhibited".  I couldn't find a way to solve that issue.

Even when I left the domain, idmap continued to amok. idmap and
smb/server would hang with no way to kill it until I changed the
workgroup to an ephimeral value and flushed idmap after another re-boot
of the whole machine. This came with a serious but sneaking degradation
of CIFS shares access, kicking in after app. 8 hours from when I
initially had left the domain.

> What is serving DNS for you?
The AD PDC.
> Are you using WINS?
Not on OI, not on the DCs
> Do you have NetBIOS enabled?
No
> Are you using IPv6?
Deactivated on fileserver, and all DCs.  Some clients don't have IPv6
deactivated, but the issue occurs on pure IPv4 clients as well.
> Do your XP clients face the same connection problems?
Probably related ones, yes. I am not sure if the explicit error message
occurred there.
> What about Windows 8?
Not enough experience yet.
> You've said you still get failures when accessing by IP, correct? On all
> clients at the same time, or sporadically across clients?
The issue is always sporadically on individual clients.
> What applications are you using to access the server? IE: Are you opening
> things through Explorer, or are you opening things through Office?
Explorer and Office. In Office the outages are more extreme.
> Are you using offline files?
Not that I am aware of.

Thanks for your help.

With kind regards,