[OpenIndiana-discuss] DLNA server

Michelle Knight michelle at msknight.com
Thu Mar 7 19:19:49 UTC 2013

Hi Folks,

I'm not turning up much on a web search, so I'm hoping someone will be
able to help me sort this out.

I have an OI server with various media on ZFS which is shared by
password protected SMB shares. I'm fairly sure it is 151a5, built late
last year.

Recently I bought one of these -
http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?ProdRef=10095&cat=stb

When I tell it to search the network, it can't find anything and there
is no option to give it any SMB details.

It looks like I'm going to have to install something on the server to
publish the video directories in DLNA, which I've got no experience of.

I do have another machine always on, which is running Ubuntu 12.04, so
there could, presumably, be a work around by mapping the SMB share to
the Linux box and then re-publishing a DLNA share from that ... but
that is a bit messy.

I did read up something called Coherence but before I potentially risk
damaging my file server, I thought I'd seek knowledgeable help first.

I'd be grateful for any guidance.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Michelle Knight