[OpenIndiana-discuss] IO Stalls

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Fri Mar 8 12:29:16 UTC 2013

> From: Grant Albitz [mailto:Grant at schultztechnology.com]
>
> I have been chasing an issue with my openindiana host for some time. It is
> stable for a few weeks but then I find it rebooted with no kernel errors.

This sounds like a driver issue.  I've had similar problems on an R510 or R520, or something similar, I forget exactly which.  That system was unstable and rebooted or crashed about once a week.  The most effective thing we did was to add on an Intel NIC and stop using the built-in broadcom NIC, but even so, it still crashed about once every 3 weeks or a month.

I've had bad luck in general running solaris or openindiana on dell servers.  (No problems on dell workstations.)  Other people have had good luck running on dell servers.

If possible, eliminate a PERC and use a plain old stupid SATA/SAS card.

Sorry I don't have anyhting more helpful to offer.   Good luck.