[OpenIndiana-discuss] Configuring an ethernet interface for just Wireshark listening?

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Thu Mar 14 16:38:48 UTC 2013

I'd like to configure an ethernet interface in Openindiana 151a7 to be
used ONLY as a listening interface for wireshark use.

In the old days I did that using ndd, setting stuff like ipforwarding
off and such.

Not perfect, but I'd still like to use it occasionally.

I'd like to set it up to listen promiscuously but never letting any
packets reach beyond Wireshark. I e so that noone can use the inteface
to access the host.

With the current tools I'm just not savvy enough to do it w/o reading up
on it first.

The if in question is e1000g1, it is connected direct to the other side
of my NAT router, which talks to e1000g0.

Can such a non-routing, router straddling setup be made to work and be
safe??