[OpenIndiana-discuss] Configuring an ethernet interface for just Wireshark listening?

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Thu Mar 14 17:49:22 UTC 2013

On 03/14/13 12:38, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
> I'd like to configure an ethernet interface in Openindiana 151a7 to be
> used ONLY as a listening interface for wireshark use.
>
> In the old days I did that using ndd, setting stuff like ipforwarding
> off and such.

You don't need even that much infrastructure in place.  There's no
reason to assign any IP address or even mark the interface as "up."

You can use the interface without configuring it at all.  You just have
to be able to name it for wireshark.

If you really want, you can plumb it and then leave it unconfigured for
IP, but even that level of configuration is not necessary.  Wireshark
(like snoop) is able to use unplumbed interfaces.  (Or at least it was
so last time I tried ...)

> The if in question is e1000g1, it is connected direct to the other side
> of my NAT router, which talks to e1000g0.
>
> Can such a non-routing, router straddling setup be made to work and be
> safe??

Sure; as above.  "wireshark -i e1000g1" should do the trick.

If you really want to configure IP as well (I don't see why you would),
you can set the interface with ifconfig to be "deprecated" and
"-norouter".  The latter is equivalent to what you once did with ndd.

But I think that's just making things unnecessarily difficult.