[OpenIndiana-discuss] vrrp vip reachability

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Fri Mar 15 15:38:10 UTC 2013

On 03/15/13 11:21, Alessio wrote:
> So... all works as espected?
> No.
> If I try to ping the VIP from the server that is in the backup state, I
> can't reach such IP owned by the master server.
>
> Is such behavior by design? The VRRP implementation expects that the
> backup node cannot reach the VIP owned by the master one?

That doesn't surprise me much.  I believe that's due to RFC 5798 section
6.4.2:

6.4.2.  Backup

   The purpose of the {Backup} state is to monitor the availability and
   state of the Master router.

   (300) While in this state, a VRRP router MUST do the following:
[...]
      (340) - MUST NOT accept packets addressed to the IPvX address(es)
      associated with the virtual router.

Accepting those packets for delivery on the Backup could easily lead (at
least) to a forwarding loop, so it's a Bad Thing.  Granted, a system
could (somehow) accept and deliver them from local sources while
refusing to forward them when they arrive from external sources, but
that's far harder to accomplish.  Outbound packets to a single address
tend to look the same.

Interestingly, there is something unusual in what you described, and
that's this:

> If I shutdown the Server01, the other one become the master, and I can
> continue to ping the VIP.

I don't believe that should work with normal VRRP.  Section 6.4.3:

6.4.3.  Master
[...]
      (650) - MUST accept packets addressed to the IPvX address(es)
      associated with the virtual router if it is the IPvX address owner
      or if Accept_Mode is True.  Otherwise, MUST NOT accept these
      packets.

The default is supposed to be Accept_Mode == False, which is really the
right sort of behavior for a router.  It sounds as if the system is
behaving as though Accept_Mode defaults to True.