[OpenIndiana-discuss] vrrp vip reachability

Alessio alessio at ftgm.it
Fri Mar 15 15:21:43 UTC 2013

I have configured VRRP on two servers.

Server01 (the master)

dladm create-vnic -m vrrp -V 12 -A inet -l igb0 vnic12
vrrpadm create-router -V 12 -A inet -l igb0 vrrp12
ipadm create-addr -T static -d -a 10.96.11.205/24 vnic12/server01

Server02 (the backup)

dladm create-vnic -m vrrp -V 12 -A inet -l e1000g0 vnic12
vrrpadm create-router -V 12 -A inet -l e1000g0 vrrp12
ipadm create-addr -T static -d -a 10.96.11.205/24 vnic12/server02
vrrpadm modify-router -p 150 vrrp12

>From my notebook I'm able to ping the VIP.
If I shutdown the Server01, the other one become the master, and I can
continue to ping the VIP.
If I power on the Server01, it become the master, and Server02 returns
to the backup state. And I can continue to ping the VIP.

So... all works as espected?
No.
If I try to ping the VIP from the server that is in the backup state, I
can't reach such IP owned by the master server.

Is such behavior by design? The VRRP implementation expects that the
backup node cannot reach the VIP owned by the master one?

(If someone uses SmartOS, he can verify that also this system suffers of
the same issue).

Thanks,