[OpenIndiana-discuss] Tape backup

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 12:01:30 UTC 2013

We used to use DDS DAT tapes, and with the advent of ZFS we decided
that this is really not the best idea.

We store spinning rust (aka Hard disks) in a water-proof fire-proof
safe which is reckoned to survive > 2 hours in a fire.

we offline a disk from an active mirrored pool, physically remove it,
then "replace" it with a fresh disk, storing the physical in the safe.

The cost per Megabyte, the access speed, and the reliability of this
system, for us at least, made significant sense.

Especially with the use of snapshots and instant access; We won't go
back to tape, not under any circumstances.

Jon

PS. we have experience of extracting information from tape over 12
years old ... You'll also need to be aware that zfs send doesn't
understand end-of-tape ... you'll need to use cpio or similar.