[OpenIndiana-discuss] Tape backup

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat Mar 16 12:42:06 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-15 22:16, Achim Wolpers wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I considere to backup my data on a tape drive off my OI box. Now I face a couple of questions:
>
> 1. Which drive is recommended to work with OI? I'd like to use 800GB tapes
> 2. Since I plan to use the tapes for long time backup, is the a way to store the data with some kind of redundancy (like  RAID-Z), so that when parts of the tape might get corrupted over time, the data can still be restored?

I've read that NDMP was provided in OpenSolaris and is an "open"
protocol to handle backups in an interoperable manner. Possibly
it can wrap ZFS backups even if they need to be split over many
tapes. I have no experience with it and haven't read more, so
can't really elaborate or even say if it is what might help you.

Cursory googling came up with a couple of interesting articles:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/systems-hardware-architecture/ndmp-whitepaper-192164.pdf

http://dtrace.org/blogs/eschrock/2012/02/28/data-replication-building-a-better-ndmp/

HTH,
//Jim