[OpenIndiana-discuss] How do I swiych from IDE to AHCI mode for my SATA disks, please vet my procedure!

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Mon Mar 18 18:51:25 UTC 2013

I'm unclear about some of your answers.. interfoliating my questions.

But, can I interpret your answer to overall be that one should not have
to do more than:

set BIOS to AHCI mode for the SATA controllers
boot liveDVD
as superuser (sudo su in a live dvd terminal)
     "zpool import -f rpool"
     "zpool export rpool"
reboot

for any reasonably recent Intel based server motherboard (mine is a
Supermicro X7SBi)?

On 2013-03-18 19:02, Jim Klimov wrote:
> On 2013-03-18 18:14, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:

>> mirror.
>>
>> The motherboard is in IDE mode for SATA.
>>
>> This must now change, since I need to be able to accomodate disks of the
>> 512e ilk, i e disks that lie about their blocksize, which really is 4k.
>>
>> I think I should do the following:
>
> Actually, your procedure is a bit over-complicated. While rpool is some
> special case for import during boot (its label-embedded device paths are
> trusted too much, which is the sole cause for problems with such driver
> changes like SATA/IDE/vHDD/whatever), I don't remember needing the extra
> steps you do with /device nodes. Just importing and cleanly exporting
> the rpool while booted from a LiveDVD and having the controller in the
> mode you want should suffice. At this moment the rpool is processed by
> generic routines like any other pool, with detection of component disks
> as needed, so it is found on other controllers than recorded in the
> label. These paths are further saved into rpool labels, allowing its
> import during further boot.
>
> All this said, my laptop can only boot from USB as an alternate media,
> and this shifts its known storage controller numbering. When I boot
> from the HDD, it searches for SATA disks at improper device paths.
> So my laptop is stuck with IDE mode until someone gets around to fix
> or relax the rpool import procedure (i.e. instead of failing, try the
> usual search for pools first).
>

>> On the running host, I make sure either disk can be booted, by doing the
>> installgrub things.
>
> This rarely hurts ;)
>
>> Then I reboot the machine on a live DVD. On the way up, I set the Bios
>> to use AHCI mode for the SATA disks, and boot the Live DVD.
>>
>>  From the live cd I do, I hope this is correct! Please vet!
>>

>> -------
>> zpool import -f rpool
>>
>> ( The -f is because I didn't export it on the running system, because I
>> couldn't, but I know it isn't active, I'm running off a DVD, see. But
>> how does "zpool" find rpool???)
>
> See above ;)
>

> This block is likely not needed - only if your hardware is somehow
> non-standard and not detectable by bootup procedures.

You mean "the below block"???

> In this case you might want to add the driver names, etc. into the
> /boot/solaris/filelist.ramdisk text file which controls the contents
> of the boot archive, and maybe add a forceload in /etc/system.
>
>> touch /a
>>
>> zfs set -o canmount=on,mountpoint=/a root/ROOT/OI-151a7
>>
>> zfs mount rpool/ROOT/OI-151a7
>>
>> devfsadm -r /a -Cv
>>
>> bootadm update-archive -R /a
>
> If you changed the dataset properties above, you'd be wise to return
> them to original values. You did record them, right? ;)

Of course I must do zfs set -o canmount=on,mountpoint=/ rpool/ROOT/....
Anything else??