[OpenIndiana-discuss] How do I swiych from IDE to AHCI mode for my SATA disks, please vet my procedure!

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Mar 19 00:30:09 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-18 19:51, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
> I'm unclear about some of your answers.. interfoliating my questions.
>
> But, can I interpret your answer to overall be that one should not have
> to do more than:
>
> set BIOS to AHCI mode for the SATA controllers
> boot liveDVD
> as superuser (sudo su in a live dvd terminal)
>      "zpool import -f rpool"
>      "zpool export rpool"
> reboot
>
> for any reasonably recent Intel based server motherboard (mine is a
> Supermicro X7SBi)?

Yes, I guess so. I reviewed a number of threads I took part in on the
ZFS mailing lists, one reasonable (aggregated) suggestion was to do

zpool import -R /mnt -f -N rpool

-R allows to skip use of zpool.cache and have no conflicts with
existing (live) OS
-N allows to not mount and share FSes which can take long and you
don't need in this case anyway
-f you know - the force...

PS: This should work for AMD-based motherboards, too ;)

//Jim