[OpenIndiana-discuss] How do I swiych from IDE to AHCI mode for my SATA disks, please vet my procedure!

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Mar 19 12:04:48 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-19 12:20, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
> Now, if somebody can explain why my old and trusty SunRay2 units
> suddenly display scrolling items much much faster.... Say like from
> impossibly slow with large bytewise block rewrites to almost like
> accelerated local displays.
>
> Just because I set the SATA mode to AHCI w/o Legacy mode...

I might guess that the IDE interrupts are more costly while SATA/SCSI
ones are more offloaded to hardware, leaving your CPUs more available
and responsive for small urgent tasks?

In fact, even for VMs it is a stated reason to prefer SATA/SCSI vHBAs
to IDE ones, except for maybe rarely used vCDROMs.

> Maybe it's just that sometimes the Byte Fairy is generous.

Yup, that's the more likely explanation :)