[OpenIndiana-discuss] How do I swiych from IDE to AHCI mode for my SATA disks, please vet my procedure!

Bryan N Iotti ironsides.medvet at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 12:22:49 UTC 2013

Just for fun, I'd take a look at the output of 'iostat -xen <time interval>', paying attention to the asvc_t column... That value probably went way down with the move from IDE to AHCI, due in part to the lighter CPU load of native SATA commands (less interrupts?) coupled with the performance benefits of native command queueing.

If I'm not wrong, if your asvc_t is higher than 10.0 you will experience a sluggish response from the disk, and the whole system if it's your rpool.

As always, please point out inaccuracies in my thought, as I'm eager to learn more but I'm quite new in performance monitoring.

Bryan
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device from WIND