[OpenIndiana-discuss] bmc driver in Openindiana for Supermicro IPMI controllers?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Mar 20 10:05:45 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-19 23:34, James Carlson wrote:
> On 03/19/13 17:53, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
>> And: would it be legal to install and use Sun's bmc or sbmc+ipmi drivers
>> from the oracle solaris repository???
>
> It depends on what you mean.  Your copy of OpenIndiana is yours and you
> alone can determine what you want to install on it.  If you have legally
> obtained data or executables, you're free to use them as you see fit.
>
> However, the terms under which you obtain those bits from Oracle may
> restrict the ways in which you may use them, whether on OpenIndiana or
> elsewhere.  Nobody here is likely to be competent to tell you how (or
> even if) those terms apply in this situation.  If you're concerned about
> that, then you should contact Oracle or retain your own legal counsel.
>
> (And, for what it's worth, that's not a special OpenIndiana issue.  It
> applies pretty much generally.  Mailing lists are poor substitutes for
> real legal advice.)

Likewise, IANAL, but there was similar discussion on Sun/Oracle wikis
regarding licensing of some enterprise products that Sun allowed to use
in any way without limitations, and Oracle - only for 30-90 day trials.

The answer was that the license used when downloading and installing the
product applies.

So if you've got old OpenSolaris ISOs legally (downloading from Sun and
agreeing to that license) then you may use and may not redistribute,
particularly, the closed-source bmc driver, and are not entitled to
any updates from the vendor (at least those to which another license
applies - such as one that requires a purchase, while you continue
free use).

That said, bmc from sxce snv_130 or so does work on OI copied ditto
(search the net for my posts last year or so). There were some tricks
to use it with Thumper's botched IPMI card implementation, but that
applied originally as well.

HTH,
//Jim