[OpenIndiana-discuss] 3737 days of uptime

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 11:55:46 UTC 2013

On 03/20/2013 12:32 PM, Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) wrote:
> It would only bring a tear to my eye, because of how foolishly
> irresponsible that is.  3737 days of uptime means 10 years of
> never applying security patches and bugfixes.  Whenever people
> are proud of a really long uptime, it's a sign of a bad sysadmin.

1) Reboot is only required when applying kernel patches or big
   clusters which affect core services (and the admin is using BEs).

2) Not all machines are web-facing and thus don't necessarily need
   regular security patching.

3) If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Not everybody can afford the luxury of periodic maintenance downtime and
certain systems are required to be 100% available, though I will admit
that these are few and far between (and in most cases a good hot-spare
policy will take care of this).

--
Saso