[OpenIndiana-discuss] Bash brace expansion in non-C locales??

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Mar 20 16:12:10 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-13 09:56, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
> A Q about the Slovak language: while you were in a union with the
> Czechs, did the languages start to unify spontaneously? I mean like
> vocabulary changes, minor grammatical drift, spelling oddities changing
> and so on and so forth?

I've got a bit more anecdotal information to fuel this offtopic thread:

1) While notarizing some papers today, I looked over excerpts from the
rules for the clerks and their clients. Several of these discuss that
acceptable languages for notarized documents are Czech or Slovak, and
in some cases a language that the lawyer understands and can confirm
validity of the document he/she "legalizes", but in general foreign
documents must be translated to either of these two by a court-certified
translator. So legally both are acceptable in the Czech Republic (likely
in Slovakia as well).

2) Regarding collation, some Czech designer made this vertical wall-ad
for a cash-exchange office:

CH

As you can see, it is made of five letters of the Czech alphabet (with
CH being one letter), despite the real fact that it is a marking made
for English-speaking tourists who would see it as six letters and make
fun about poor designership ;)

//Jim